Prof. Sue-joan Chang
TEL:+886-6-275-7575 ext.58131 研究室：58104 or 58114#30
Introduction of Laboratory：
The laboratory mainly investigates the physiology/pathophysiology and the molecular mechanism of metabolic-related disorders. The development of functional foods on the prevention/amelioration of metabolic-related disorders is also studied in vivo and in vitro. Recently, carbohydrate and lipid metabolic homeostasis in insulin resistance, aging and/or related complications are focusing to establish novel strategies for these metabolic-related disorders.
1.To investigate the effect of functional foods on age-related muscle loss and their mechanism.
2.To investigate the mechanism of functional food for ameliorating insulin resistance and its complications, including kidney damage, fatty liver and lipid infiltration in peripheral tissues.
3.To study the functional food for activating the peroxisome proliferator activated receptors (PPARs) and their applications on the metabolic homeostasis.
4.To study the functional food on the regulation of genes involved in aging-related metabolic homeostasis via genomics and proteomics.
|Ph.D. Degree||Institute of Food Nutrition Purdue University USA|
|MS Degree||Institute of Food Nutrition Purdue University USA|
|2019/03~||Professor Emeritus||Department of Life Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan|
|2005/08~||Distinguished Professor||Department of Life Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan|
|2014/09~2020/08||Minister without Portfolio||Examination Yuan, Taipei, Taiwan|
|2015/04~2019/03||President||Health Food Society of Taiwan|
|2017/12~||Associate Editor||Journal of Food and Drug Analysis|
|2013||Distinguished Research Fellow||Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)|
|2009~2010||Visiting Professor||The University of Tokyo, Japan|
|1991||Visiting Scholar||College of Life and Health Sciences, University of Delaware, USA|
Awards and Honors
Outstanding Nutrition Research Award, Nutrition Society of Taiwan.
Outstanding Awards in Academic Research and Technological Development, Health Food Society of Taiwan.
Outstanding Alumni Award, Fu Jen University, Taiwan.
- Shui-Yuan Feng , Shu-Jing Wu , Yun-Ching Chang , Lean-Teik Ng and Sue-Joan Chang* .Stimulation of GLUT4 Glucose Uptake by Anthocyanin-Rich Extract from Black Rice (Oryza sativa L.) via PI3K/Akt and AMPK/p38 MAPK Signaling in C2C12 Cells.Metabolites.2022, 12(9),856; doi:10.3390/metabo12090856.
- Li-Ning Peng*, Ming-Hsien Lin , Huei-Fang Lee, Chia-Chia Hsu, Sue-Joan Chang, Liang-Kung Chen. Clinical efficacy of Oligonol ® supplementation on metabolism and muscle health in middle-aged and older adults: A double-blinded randomized controlled trial. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2022. Jul 31; 103:104784.doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2022.104784 (SCI, IF= 4.163)
- Sue-Joan Chang *, Yin-Ching Chan, Hung-Wen Liu, Yun-Chin Chang and Shu-Jing Wu. Diet and health: functions and molecular mechanism. Proceeding of Canada –Taiwan bilateral conference on nutrition, health benefit and innovative processing of whole grains and pulses. 2022. P.20-32.
- Yun-Ching Chang, Yin-Chin Chan, Shu-Hui Hu, Ming-Yi Liu, Sue-Joan Chang*. The green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate attenuates age-associated muscle loss via regulation of myostatin and miR-486.Arch of Biochem and Biophy.2020 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.abb.2020.108511. (SCI) ( IF: 4.013)
- Hung-Wen Liu, Yun-Ching Chang, Yin-Ching Chan, Shu-Hui Hu, Ming-Yi Liu, Sue-Joan Chang*. Dysregulations of mitochondrial quality control and autophagic flux at an early age lead to progression of sarcopenia in SAMP8 mice. Biogerontology. 2020 21(3):367-380. DOI:10.1007/s10522-020-09867-x (SCI) ( IF: 4.277)
- Chang YC, Liu HW, Chen YT, Chen YA, Chen YJ and Chang SJ*. Resveratrol protects muscle cells against palmitate-induced cellular senescence and insulin resistance through ameliorating autophagic flux. J Food Drug Anal. 2018 Jul;26(3):1066-1074.
- Liu HW and Chang SJ. Moderate Exercise Suppresses NF-κB Signaling and Activates the SIRT1-AMPK-PGC1α Axis to Attenuate Muscle Loss in Diabetic db/db Mice. Front Physiol. 2018 May 29;9:636.
- Liu HW, Chen YJ, Chang YC and Chang SJ*. Oligonol, a Low-Molecular Weight Polyphenol Derived from Lychee, Alleviates Muscle Loss in Diabetes by Suppressing Atrogin-1 and MuRF1. Nutrients. 2017 Sep 20;9(9). pii: E1040.
- Liu HW, Chan YC, Wei CC, Chen YA, Wang MF and Chang SJ*. An alternative model for studying age-associated metabolic complications: Senescence-accelerated mouse prone 8. Exp Gerontol. 2017 Aug 23. 99:61-68.
- Hu SH, Chen KS, Liu MY, Cheung CK, Wang JC and Chang SJ*. Optimization of Submerged Cultivation Conditions for Production of Big Cup Culinary-Medicinal Mushroom Clitocybe maxima (Agaricomycetes) Biomass with Significant Antioxidative and Antihyperlipidemic activities. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2017;19(7):641-651.
- Chen YF, Shiau AL, Chang SJ, Fan NS, Wang CT, Wu CL and Jan JS. One-dimensional poly(L-lysine)-block-poly(L-threonine) assemblies exhibit potent anticancer activity by enhancing membranolysis. Acta Biomater. 2017 Jun;55:283-295.
- Liu MY, Tang HC, Hu SH and Chang SJ*. Peptide-based enteral formula improves tolerance and clinical outcomes in abdominal surgery patients relative to a whole protein enteral formula. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2016 Oct 27;8(10):700-705.
- Liu HW, Wei CC, Chen YJ, Chen YA and Chang SJ*. Flavanol-rich lychee fruit extract alleviates diet-induced insulin resistance via suppressing mTOR/SREBP-1 mediated lipogenesis in liver and restoring insulin signaling in skeletal muscle. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2016,60:2288-2296.
- Liu HW, Wei CC and Chang SJ*. Low-molecular-weight Polyphenols Protect Kidney Damage through Suppressing NF-B and Modulating Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Diabetic db/db Mice. Food & Function. 2016; 7. 1941-9.
- Liu HW, Chan YC, Wang MF, Wei CC and Chang SJ*. Dietary (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate supplementation counteracts aging-associated skeletal muscle insulin resistance and fatty liver in senescence-accelerated mouse. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 Sep 30;63(38):8407-17.
- Liu HW, Huang WC, Yu WJ and Chang SJ*. Toona Sinensis ameliorates insulin resistance via AMPK and PPARγ pathways. Food Funct. 2015 Jun;6(6):1855-64.
- Liu HW, Tsai YT and Chang SJ*. Toona sinensis leaf extract inhibits lipid accumulation through up-regulation of genes involved in lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation in adipocytes. J Agric Food Chem. 2014 Jun 25;62(25):5887-96.
- Oligonol alleviates sarcopenia: mechanisms of mitochondrial dynamic and autophagic flux. International Congress on Nutrition and Integrative Medicine (ICNIM 2018), Sapporo, Japan (Invited speaker)
- Development of functional foods for glucose/lipid regulation. 2018 International Symposium on Functional Foods and Nutritional Supplements, Taipei, Taiwan (Invited speaker)
- Polyphenol approaches to prevent / ameliorate sarcopenia. 2018 International Conference on Functional Food for improving Sarcopenia, Cachexia and Frailty, Taipei, Taiwan (Invited speaker)
- Experimental Models for Aging and Sarcopenia. 10th international conference on cachexia,sarcopenia & muscle wasting, Roma, Italy (Invited speaker)
- Functional Foods for Muscle Atrophy in Aging and Diseases. 10th International Conference and Exhibition on Nutraceuticals & Functional Foods (ISNFF 2017), Gunsan, Kroea (Invited speaker)
- Oligonol attenuates muscle atrophy in diabetes. International Congress on Nutrition and Integrative Medicine (ICNIM 2017), Sapporo, Japan (Invited speaker)
- Bioactive natural products and genes involved in glucose/lipid homeostasis. Asia-Pacific Nutrigenomics & Nutrigenetics Organisation (APNNO), GyeongjuSouth Korea (Invited speaker)
- he biological activities of Oligonol in diabetes and diet-induced insulin resistance. International Congress on Nutrition and Integrative Medicine (ICNIM2016), Sapporo, Japan (Invited speaker)
- Oligonol protects against palmitate-induced senescence and insulin resistance in C2C12 muscle cells and promotes survival and prevents muscle atrophy in obese diabetic (db/db) mice. International Congress on Nutrition and Integrative Medicine (ICNIM 2015), Sapporo, Japan (Invited speaker)
- Nutrition and health promotion- From Molecular to Physiological Modulation. ACN 2015 12th Asian Congress of Nutrition, Yokohama, Japan (Invited speaker)